|EUR/USD, US Dollar Index|
19 July, 2011
- Bullish engulfing targets key zone between 1.4282-1.4325.
- EUR/USD triggered a bullish engulfing today that targets key resistance zone between 1.4282-1.4325 (14th July high/61.8/66% level). We remain negative, expecting current upside probes to fail into the latter zone.
- Our short position continues to favour a resumption of the downside pattern breakout, offering an accelerated impulsive (wave 3) into1.3700/1.3659 (2 yr uptrend/61.8% Fib-Jan 2011 rise), thereafter squeezing further conservative trend-followers into our initial objective at 1.3370.
- A sustained close above 1.4325 would trigger a move into 1.4405/20. Only above here offers meaningful upside recovery into 1.4578 (05th July peak).
- Inversely, the US dollar index still needs to hold above 76.36 (23rd May high), to confirm a multi-month base pattern for an extension into 77.01and 78.03 (50%/61.8% Fib-Jan 2011 Decline), then 79.00 (objective).